Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Intercession

Philippians 4:6-7 (English Standard Version)  6 do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. 7And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

Prayer isn’t simply something done in private...or in quiet.  Nor are we to focus on our needs alone.

In taking with a good friend yesterday I was reminded of the import of intercessory prayer, praying for the needs of others.  It struck me that I cannot fulfill Christ’s call to follow Him without praying for others.

So how?  And what kind of things ought we to include in our prayers?

It’s something done in private and private; gathering into small groups or large.  I remember hearing an evangelist speak about prayer and how intent we are on our own.  He said, “It’s like saying, ‘Dear God, Bless me, my wife, our two kids, us four, no more. Amen.’”

In one sense I am a picture of intercessory prayer.  Ten years ago, when I had my stroke, word got out for prayer.  Over the next two months, while I was in the hospital and rehab, my wife received emails, cards, letters from all over the world.  She put much of that into a binder so I can remember the great generosity of Christians of all sorts; Anglicans, Presbyterians, Roman Catholics, Orthodox, Baptists, independents, etc. 

Christians worldwide were called to pray for this Gimpy Bishop, and many may never meet me on this side of glory.

I thank God for so many intercessors.  BTW, it’s not about numbers.  Christ reminds us that where two or three are gathered “in My name”, there am I in the midst.  It’s about the intercession.

The other point my friend made was that intercessory prayers aren’t for God’s sake.  He know and works everything according to His will.  It’s to call us to Him, and to teach us His great love for others by asking to to show love to others too.

Pray for my and for my family, for our mission in Fargo, and for the other requests other lay before you.

Thanks.

+gbf

No comments:

Post a Comment